Skip to main content
The official website of the State of Mississippi

Frequently Asked Questions

PEPLS Frequently Asked Questions

About the application process

What are the deadlines for filing an application to take an exam?

There are no application deadlines for the computer-based exams, which includes the FE, FS, PE and PS exams.

How do I know if you received my application?

Whether you applied online or using a paper application, we will send an e-mail to the address provided on your application confirming receipt of your application. If you do not receive this e-mail within one week after submitting your application, please contact our office via Email at

How can I find out the status of my application?

To find out the status of your application send an email inquiry to .  Include your name and the date your application was submitted either online or mailed to the agency.  Also note your application type (i.e. initial, comity or comity with an NCEES record or if a COA).  

Is a credential evaluation from NCEES required for my foreign BS degree if I have a MS or PhD degree from a U.S. ABET program?

No, not if you ALSO have a Master’s or a PhD from an engineering curriculum that is ABET accredited at the undergraduate, or graduate, level.

Can I count engineering experience gained before obtaining my BS degree?

The Board may allow up to six months of co-op experience obtained through a completed college or university sponsored co-op program as part of a four year ABET accredited engineering program. The completion of this co-op program must be verified by the co-op office at the college or university directly to our office.

May I have the FE exam waived?

No, regardless of advanced education or experience, or a waiver granted by another state, Mississippi law requires that BOTH the FE exam and the PE exam must be passed by all applicants for PE licensure, both initial applicants and comity applicants.

If I take an exam; when will I receive my exam results?

Please refer to NCEES for the availability of national exam results.

If I am applying with an NCEES record, what other documents am I required to submit for review?

You will need to submit our electronic application, the application fee, and arrange to have your NCEES Record sent directly to our office. Other documents may be required, if the NCEES Record doesn’t fulfill all of Mississippi’s requirements: two examples are at least one reference must be dated within the past 6 months and PE supervisor verification of experience for comity applicants with less than 10 years of licensure. Portions of the application are not required if you apply with the NCEES Record; just follow the instructions.

How long will it take to process my application?

The Agency attempts to process all applications within a timely manner; but usually within 30 days of receipt of the application and /or all supporting documents.

What is needed for an application to be considered COMPLETE?

Typically, this means that the application and all supporting information and/or documents have been received and there are no missing documents or information needs.

Can I get a temporary license?

Mississippi law does not allow for temporary licensure, or “one-project-only licensure”.

What are the requirements for registration or licensure in Mississippi?

Please see the Board’s website ( under the Licensure tab.

I passed the Fundamentals of Engineering examination while I was in college. When will I receive my certification as an Engineer Intern?

Upon graduation, please request an official copy of your college transcripts showing the engineering degree and date conferred, and arrange to have it sent directly to our office. Be sure we have your CURRENT mailing address by sending it to the agency Licensing Officer via E-mail.

I’m an Engineer Intern (EIT) in another jurisdiction, but I am now located in Mississippi. Do I need to apply for Engineer Intern certification in Mississippi?

No. Engineer Intern certification simply signifies that you have passed the national Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) examination. Mississippi does not have a process to transfer EI status from another state into Mississippi; it is not necessary.

How can I be listed as a Structural Engineer?

Mississippi doesn’t license by discipline, or areas of practice; the license title is Professional Engineer. The Code of Conduct requires the PE to restrict his practice to his area(s) of expertise which he obtained by either education, experience, or both.

I have moved since my last communication with the Board. How can I update my contact information?

Log in to your account in our online system via our website. To change your personal information, click on General Information (over on the left side) and then click on “Edit Personal Detail”.

Alternately, you can download the address change form and Email it to and we will make the change for you.

About Continuing Education

Continuing Education

Please return to the home page of our website ( and click on Continuing Education under the Laws, Rules & Requirements tab. You will find the pertinent rule and the forms for reporting if you are chosen for audit.

About Complaints

How do I file a complaint?

Complaints must be submitted on the Board’s complaint form. You can access the complaint form at the following link or by visiting the Complaint page on our website at this link:

Is disciplinary action available to the public?

Yes. You may request copies in accordance with the public records law. The Board also posts formal disciplinary actions on their website and in their newsletters.

Can I withdraw a complaint after filing it with the Board?

Complaints may not be withdrawn after filing it.  Once a complaint is received in the Board office, it becomes the State’s case and only the Board can dispose of it. However, a request to withdraw a complaint may be considered by the Board in determining the appropriate action. Complainants are advised to bear these facts in mind before filing a complaint.

About Licensees

How can I search for licensed individuals or firms?

You can search for licensed individuals or firms on our website home page ( Look for the following (Licensee Search function) and proceed accordingly. If licensed you will find the individuals or firms name, contact information, date of initial licensure and their current date of license expiration.

You can also search for professional engineers or surveyors by county location.

licensee search function